The Sexual Abuse Intervention Program (SAIP)

We provide a range of appropriate, therapeutic and educative treatment and/or support services to children and youth ages 3 -18 ( up to their 19th birthday) who have been sexually abused, and to children under the age of 12 with sexual acting out behaviours. Treatment may include individual counselling and/or family support depending on the needs of the young person, to facilitate healing within the family system. Intervention methods are strength-based and child-focused, using a variety of expressive therapies and counselling approaches.

Art and play therapy may be used and children may be taught safety skills as necessary. We encourage healthy parent-child attachment. We support families in understanding the impact of sexual abuse on the child/youth.

Services are free. SAIP is staffed by two (2) part-time counsellors with specialized training and experience. Services are sensitive and responsive to cultural differences.

Clinic: SAIP offers a sexuality clinic for any youth or adult in the community who wants to learn more about normal sexual development, responding to sexual abuse disclosures or information about sexual behavioural problems. Appointments for a confidential clinic meeting may be arranged at any time.

At times the program may do small presentations in the community covering topics related to sexual abuse such as safety, secrets, communication, boundaries and emotions.

For more information about the SAIP Program contact Leslie at 250-338-7575 ext. 223

Funding: The SAIP program is funded through the Ministry of Children and Family Development. 

Other Information: 

What is Sexual Abuse?: Sexual abuse means any sexual exploitation of a child whether consensual or not. It includes touching of a sexual nature and sexual intercourse and may include any behaviour of a sexual nature toward a child by an older or more advantaged person.

Duty to Report: It is mandatory in British Columbia that any person who believes that a child may be abused or neglected must report the incident to the Ministry for Children and Family Development.  

Some ways we receive referrals include:

* Self-referral

* Physicians

* Family - Custodial Parent

* Ministry of Children and Family Development

* Community agencies

* School District- school counsellors or school teachers

* Vancouver Island Health Authority e.g. nurses

Proud to be accreditated through CARF