1. Are you Social Services e.g. "I want to speak to a social worker"

Answer: No, we are a community partner to the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). This Ministry includes but is not limited to, social workers, child & youth mental health and child protection services. Our name 'Family Services' is often confused with MCFD due to the programs we offer in conjunction with the Ministry.

If you would like more information about MCFD, follow this link: Ministry of Children and Family Development. The local Comox Valley MCFD number is 250-334-5820.

For reporting a concern about a child, the toll-free centralized screening number is 1-800-663-9122. Press zero for all child protection reports. 

2. Does your agency provide financial assistance e.g. 'welfare' or income assistance?

Answer: No, we do not provide income assistance, the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation is responsible for this program.

For information follow this link: Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation The toll-free number is 1 866-866-0800 and the local office, Employment and Income Assistance is located at 730 Grant Avenue Courtenay BC V9N 2T3

3. Where can I find out more information on services for families with children 0-6 years that may be occurring in the Comox Valley area?

Answer: Valley Child is a great one-stop resource for families looking for programs, activities and events for young children.

4. What if I have a concern or complaint about the services I am receiving?

Answer: We have a complaint/concern/feedback policy available for review and information; what the basic procedures are, and information on how to contact the appropriate person with your concerns. Any filed grievance or complaint remains confidential to ensure the ability of anyone to come forward at any time. We consider all information received as opportunities to improve our services.

For more information or to receive a complaint form, please contact the Executive Director: diane.d@cvfsa.org.

5. Do you help with divorce and custody issues?

Answer: No we do not provide services for divorce or custody issues. We recommend seeking legal advice. Unfortunately, at this time we also do not provide private supervised access. A good starting point is to access more information is Family Law BC. Included there are many resources available such as Parenting After Separation and a frequently asked question section.

If there are other questions or comments please send us an email at CVFSA