render small text render medium text render large text

Concerns and Complaints

Making a Complaint

Comox Valley Family Services is committed to delivering excellent services. If you think we are not meeting this standard we would like to hear from you.

What is a Complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction when we have not met your expectation. Your complaint may be about client service concerns around service delivery or other concerns such as

  • Feeling treated unfairly by a worker
  • Weren’t asked for your point of view or input around service planning

How to Make a complaint

You can contact us through our head office in Courtenay at 250-338-7575 (see details here).

When you make a complaint please tell us

  • Your name
  • Your address and contact details
  • Details about the complaint

We ask for your contact details so we can respond directly to you. However if you wish to make a complaint anonymously it will be treated with the same level of importance. We encourage you to have assistance when you make a complaint. You can get an advocate to help you. You can pick anyone to be your advocate. Pick people you trust who are good listeners, such as friends or relatives. They can help you make a complaint, go with you to meetings for support or help you say what you need. Your advocate should help you speak for yourself, but should not “take over” your problem or make decisions for you.

If you want help making your complaint but don’t want to ask anyone you know contact our head office and we will arrange to assign a program manger to assist you.

How Long Will it Take?

  • If you feel comfortable you can talk with the worker and/or their supervisor and tell them your concerns and feelings
  • If that doesn’t work, or if you’d rather talk directly to their manager/supervisor you can make a formal complaint

Under our complaints policy we have to respond that we have received the complaint within 5 working days, however we will endeavor to resolve your complaint as soon as possible. You will always be advised when your complaint has been received.

Our Commitment to Resolving Your Complaint

All complaints are taken seriously and handled with immediate priority.

We will ensure you are treated with respect and in a professional manner.

Who is Responsible for the Complaint?

Your complaint will be assigned to the appropriate area and escalated accordingly.

If You are Not Happy With the Outcome of Your Complaint

We will do our best to ensure that you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint investigation.

However if you are not satisfied, there are other people you may choose to contact, such as your local Member of Parliament, Ministry of Children and Family Development(MCFD), BC Ombudsman.